Saturday, May 8, 2021

Two photographs

Here are two pictures of my late mother (both of which have been seen before, in this space).

The first is from 1949, when she became a featured singer on bandleader Kay Kyser's new weekly television program, on NBC.  The show made its debut at the start of December of that year. 

When the photograph was taken, she was twenty-one years old.  My parents had been married a few months before, in August of 1949.

The picture was, I am fairly sure, taken at New York's International Theatre, at Columbus Circle; the Kay Kyser program was telecast each week from the theatre. 

The second picture, which she used professionally, is, I believe, from the late 1980s, or the early 1990s.

Today--I am very saddened by this fact--is the twentieth anniversary of her death.  She died on this date in 2001, at age seventy-three.











 

(Top photograph, from 1949: © NBCUniversal)