Thursday, August 15, 2024

A belated post

I've been meaning to post the following for several days:

I have mentioned previously, in this space, that I watch CNN often.  Yet I was surprised, recently, by comments made on-the-air by longtime host Jake Tapper.

The remarks he made took place on August 6th--the day Vice President Harris announced that Minnesota Governor Tim Walz would be her running mate; that evening, the Vice President and the Governor made their first joint appearance at Temple University in Philadelphia.

Near the beginning of his speech, Governor Walz spoke warmly, admiringly, and enjoyably, about Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, who had spoken before the Vice President and Governor Walz.

Mr. Walz said:  "And Pennsylvania, I know you know this, but, my God, what a treasure you have in Josh Shapiro...This is a visionary leader. Also, I have to tell you--everybody in America knows, when you need a bridge fixed, call that guy!" The audience cheered.

Mr. Walz then said:  "And I think sometimes we forget, and you see people a little one-dimensional--but seeing a guy who cares so deeply about his family, a man with compassion, vision. And I'll have to tell you this,  I know this from experience, but there is no one you would rather go to a Springsteen concert in Jersey with than him, than that guy!"  The audience clearly loved it.

After the speeches, Jake Tapper, who was in Philadelphia for the event (and who is from the Philadelphia area), was interviewing guests, including Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar.

During the conversation with the Senator, Mr. Tapper said that Governor Walz's comments about Mr. Springsteen had "prompted some boos."

Unfortunately, Mr. Tapper, I believe, misunderstood the reaction to what Mr. Walz said.

As far as I know--and I've watched this part of the video of the Governor's speech several times--the audience members Mr. Tapper was referring to were not booing at all. They were chanting what a lot of Springsteen fans routinely chant: "Bruce!"

(Or, more precisely, very often--"Bruuuce!")

Indeed, during the chants, Mr. Walz responded: "Bruce!"

I was disappointed, that Mr. Tapper didn't get this.

The Governor's comments about Mr. Shapiro--and Mr. Springsteen--begin at about a minute into the video, below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ajzMgbGsY